The Secret History is a fantastic, dark, mysterious novel about a group of brilliant college students who do crazy stuff in the name of their classics professor. It’s messed up and weird, and it’s also my favourite book of all time – so here are 5 reasons why you should definitely read it.
1. The vibe. This is difficult to explain, but it’s similar to what I said about the TV show How to get away with Murder. This book has a very atmospheric vibe – it’s dark, elegant and mysterious, and it’s this feeling that the book gives you that makes it so memorable.
2. The setting. The novel is set at college, and a lot of the story takes place on campus during winter, which makes for a beautiful, almost magical setting. Big parts of the book also take place in grand mansions and country houses – if you love reading about the houses of rich people, this is your story. Those are some fabulous homes, and they’re full of secrets.
3. The mystery. Throughout the novel there is this constant mysterious air, the feeling that even when everything is explained you still don’t quite know the whole truth. Everything that happens seems strange and brings up more questions.
4. The classics. I personally love Greek mythology and anything related to the Ancient world, so that made me love this book even more. There are lots of references to classic literature, there are college lessons related to Ancient times, and the whole mystery of the novel is all about it.
5. The writing. Donna Tartt’s writing is magical. It completely pulls you into the story. The chapters are very long, yet her writing makes the story flow so well that you’ve read 200 pages before you know it, and you suddenly put the book down and wonder where the hell you are and what year it is. It’s a long book, but I read it in just a few hours.
There you go! Those are my 5 main reasons why this book is worth reading. If you’ve already read it I would love to chat about it in the comments below – and if you haven’t, I hope I convinced you to pick it up.
‘Till next time and happy reading!