Parks and Recreation is a hilarious political-comedy show shot in a mockumentary style, which follows a group of characters who work for the US government.
1. It’s hilarious. This show has some of the funniest scenes and best quotes in the world. I remember laughing out loud so many times when I watched it, and every now and then I still do when I find a random gif or video.
2. The characters. All of them are completely unique and funny in their own way.
There’s Leslie, who loves the government like it’s her child, and who believes in hard work. She’s kind, dedicated and bossy. I love her.
There’s Andy, who’s goofy and kind and never loses his optimism. He never knows what’s going on.
There’s April, my personal favourite. She hates people and loves animals. She’s kind of a bit creepy but ultimately loves everyone around her, even though she would never admit it.
There’s Ron, who’s the boss of the whole department but actually hates the government. He doesn’t like emotions and loves being alone in the woods. He also loves food.
There’s Tom, who loves technology and money and gets super excited about new, shiny things. He’s like the perfect fuckboy, but incredibly adorable at the same time. He also thinks he’s the best thing to ever happen to the world.
There’s Donna, the bad-ass lady who’s good friends with Tom. She’s classy in her own way and knows exactly how to get what she wants.
There’s Jerry, the loser of the department. No one likes him and everyone makes fun of him, which is incredibly mean but also a little funny at times. He doesn’t really care what anyone thinks, he just likes to do his job the best he can.
There’s Ann, the sweet, innocent soul. She’s incredibly kind and patient, and everyone loves her.
And lastly there are Ben and Chris, but they’re later additions to the show, so I’m not gonna talk about them much. Just know that Ben is one of my favourite characters in the whole world.
And that Chris is freaking hilarious and weird.
3. It makes you happy. Even just hearing the opening theme makes me smile – the show practically radiates positivity and happiness and there’s nothing more wonderful on a bad day.
4. Fantastic political parody. Just look at the current election in the US – I mean, Donald Trump actually has a real chance. There are politicians in this show who are supposed to be exaggerated and stereotypical, but they’re just like the people we see every day on TV, talking nonsense. So I think it’s safe to say that this show does a fantastic job of turning politics into comedy.
5. It deals with actual, real issues. The show deals a lot with the way women in power are treated and perceived. Leslie, as an ambitious woman, deals with a lot of criticism and often feels powerless because she can’t stop it. So it’s not just a fun, happy show, but an important one as well.
Those are my 5 main reasons why you should definitely check out this wonderful show. If you’re a fan I’d love to talk about it in the comments below, and if you haven’t watched it yet, I hope I’ve convinced you to check it out.
‘Till next time and happy watching!