The Day after Tomorrow is one of my absolute favourite movies, and today I will be sharing 5 reasons why you should watch it!
The movie follows a group of teenagers who suddenly witness one natural disaster after another, leading to the potential end of the world, and together they need to find a way to survive.
1. The story is believable and not over-the-top. You know how natural-disaster movies are always just a little too much? This one isn’t like that at all – everything that happens is believable, yet still surprising enough to keep you on the edge of your seat until the end. It’s a breathtaking story, but it doesn’t feel overdone, and I love that.
2. It’s the only natural-disaster movie that feels unique. I have seen so many movies about tsunamis, storms and every other possible catastrophe, and all of them are literally the same. A group of insignificant characters who need to survive. Nothing memorable whatsoever, just action and more action. That’s why I love this movie so much – it’s so much more than action, so much more than all the other natural-disaster movies.
3. The characters are likable and well-written. We mainly follow a group of teenagers, but there are also glimpses into the lives of other people who are trying to survive – old people, parents, children – and all of them feel real. One character that especially stuck with me is a nurse who refuses to leave her hospital because there is a child with cancer in there who isn’t strong enough to leave, so she decides to stay with that kid and wait for an ambulance that may or may not come. So much love was put into each character’s story, and throughout the movie you keep hoping that all of them will make it, no matter how hopeless the situation seems.
4. It’s stunning to watch. The disasters are really well-done, in a way that is almost terrifying – when the world freezes over, for example, there is this dread, this fear that everyone is going to die, yet still the landscape looks stunning, and that freaks me out every time I watch this movie. Something so deadly shouldn’t look so beautiful, yet it does.
There goes New York. Oops.
5. The moral of the story is important. When all the natural disasters ensue, it’s clear that there are people who knew this was going to happen, but they weren’t listened to, because money was more important than the world. There is a lot of talk about the environment and global warming, and I think that’s very important – the message is strong, and it’s delivered nicely.
What I also love is that while it seems like the world is ending, there is still so much hope, no one really gives up, and that adds a certain happiness to the story. All those people believe that the world can be saved, that it can become a better place eventually, and I love how hopeful that message is ultimately. It’s telling us to be careful, to be better, but not to give up.
There you go, my 5 main reasons why you should definitely watch this movie! If you’ve seen it I’d love to know if you agree – do you love it as much as I do? Or, if you haven’t seen it yet, do you have any intention of checking it out? Let me know.
‘Till next time and happy watching!