As I mentioned recently, there are a lot of things I discovered in the last few months, and I really want to share those new favourites with you guys! I thought I’d start by showing you some of the music I discovered in my first semester at uni, and leave movies, TV shows, and other stuff for a different post. I hope you enjoy!
- The Chainsmokers. I’ve somehow become a huge fan of EDM and that sort of music. It’s been my go-to genre since the summer, and The Chainsmokers have become one of my favourite bands. My favourite song of their is All we know, but I also love Don’t let me down (the times I’ve played that are uncountable), Closer, Roses, Waterbed and Setting Fires. Basically everything.
- The xx. Very different from The Chainsmokers, but still amazing. According to Wikipedia they make electronic indie pop or dream pop (I’m terrible with genres so don’t ask me), and my favourite songs are Islands, Heart skipped a Beat and Basic Space. I also love Intro, but I’ve known that song for years, so I’m not counting it.
- Saltfen. This one is kind of close to my heart, because it’s one of my flatmates’ band (yes, that’s how awesome my flat is). They’re not super well-known, but they have some really good songs, my favourite being BFG. They also participated in a Battle of the Bands at my university so I saw them perform live, and they won and it was great.
- Beibi by Haloo Helsinki!. This is a Finnish song, which I know thanks to one of my flatmates, who’s from Finland. It’s a really good song with lots of power, and it’s even got nice lyrics. Definitely one of my favourite musical discoveries of the year.
- The Greatest by Sia. I went through a few difficult days at the end of term, and this song kind of made me feel better and kept me going. I’m sure a lot of you guys know it already ’cause it’s pretty popular, but if you don’t, I definitely recommend listening to it. Sia is fantastic.
- Freal Luv by Far East Movement. I don’t have any emotional connection to this song nor anything special to say, it’s just really good! (I know the title is terrible, but give the song a chance.)
- Starboy by The Weeknd. As you can see, this kind of music really has become my thing. I was obsessed with this song for a while and had it stuck in my head constantly.
- Starving by Hailee Steinfeld. When you’re dealing with having a massive crush on someone, this is a very relatable song. I used to hate this kind of cutesy-corny love stuff, but man, I love this song.
- Love Me by The 1975. One of my flatmates played this song about a million times in the kitchen in the first few weeks, and I kind of got attached to it. It’s got interesting lyrics and it’s quite unique musically.
- She’s so lovely by Scouting for Girls. Another song that said flatmate played over and over, and then it was also in Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, which I watched with another flatmate. It’s a very happy pop-punk song, and I really, really like it.
- Toothpaste kisses by The Maccabees. Another song that was in Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging. This one, however, is not pop-punk, but more chill, and also very cute.
- 2000 Miles by Pretenders. This is a song that one of my flatmates started playing a lot when it got close to Christmas, and now it kind of makes me sad – but it’s a really nice song, and an alternative to all the other Christmas songs that are on the radio non-stop in December.
- One Night by Ed Sheeran. The same flatmate who put on 2000 Miles also likes Ed Sheeran a lot, and while she only played this song once it immediately stood out to me and I still love it.
- Say You Won’t Let Go by James Arthur. Speaking of cutesy-corny! This is the corniest love song I’ve ever had in my favourites, but I don’t even have an excuse, I just really like it.
- The Poison by The All-American Rejects. THIS. I love this so much. I only know very few songs by The All-American Rejects, and I regret not listening to more of their stuff sooner, ’cause this song is absolutely beautiful. It’s part of the Alice in Wonderland soundtrack and the lyrics are just … wow. I’m in love with everything about this song, from the lyrics to the music.
- We don’t talk anymore by Charlie Puth. This is a very nice song musically, but I think the reason I like it so much is that I kind of relate to it in a way. Not exactly, but kind of. It’s a pop song about two people who were once together but now don’t really talk anymore (hence the title).
- Teardrop by Massive Attack. I started watching House recently and this is the vocal version of the theme song. At first I was disappointed that I couldn’t find the actual theme but just this original song, but now I’m so happy I found it. The lyrics are very unique and a bit strange, and the music is lovely.
- 2 Heads by Coleman Hell. I don’t know why this song ended up being last on this list considering it’s one of the first ones I discovered at uni. It’s like a mix between EDM and indie pop, which makes for quite an interesting song. I absolutely love the lyrics, and the aesthetic of the official lyrics video is exactly my kind of thing.
So that’s all of my new favourite music that I came across in my first semester! If you’re interested, here’s a Spotify playlist I made with all of the songs I know thanks to my flat – there’s some of the above mentioned, but also other songs that didn’t quite make my favourites but are still worth a listen.
I hope you’ll check out some of these artists and songs, and that you like them if you do!
‘Till next time and happy listening!